Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's an envelope without a stamp?

April 8th, 2011
Really great postage stamps -- blogged by Susie at Rock, Scissors, Paper:

what’s an envelope without a stamp?


In thinking about sending letters or cards, who out there also thinks about what stamp to use? When sending out a bill, I have to say I don’t think about it. I go straight for the roll of flag stamps. But when sending a birthday card or an invitation, I like to choose something that works with the envelope color, occasion or that is just generally pleasing to my eye. A couple of months ago, I went down an internet rabbit hole looking at vintage stamps. My journey started on a post on Helen Dardik’s blog, which led me to So Much Pile Up. From there to flickr to ebay & etsy to google images….and that’s just scratching the surface!
The range of illustration styles, themes and colors is just mind blowing.  This exploration really gave me a new appreciation for stamp collecting and sent me on a personal shopping spree of vintage stamps to use.
Above: Unused vintage stamps from etsy seller Verde Studio who has quite a few nice groupings.
I was also blown away by the availability of large lots of canceled vintage stamps on place like ebay. Having delved into the artistic world of collage lately, my mind is buzzing with possible projects to use these for.
Love this group of vintage cat stamps by etsy seller artypharty
Here are just a few vintage stamps from the collection of flickr user karen horton. Definitely check out her set of images!
Here are some more vintage hot air balloon stamps that I particularly love from seller thriftypyg that are photographed against a nifty map background.
So in an effort to send out more mail (that people would enjoy receiving!), tip the percentages away from junk mail and bills in the mailbox, beautiful stamps are just one more part of the equation.
Image at top of the post: Vintage balloon stamps from thriftpyg
-Susie

3 comments:

  1. What's a letter without a stamp indeed! These are awesome - I *love* the hot air balloon ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I love stamps - and I hate it when some nasty postal worker just takes a heavy black marker to "cancell" the stamps on letters coming to me and ruins them...geeze....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think about this all the time. I love stamps and am always a little sad when someone goes to the post office and gets a printed out 'tag' instead of a real stamp. It's just saying can I have a stamp instead.
    Anywho! I love these photos. If you like stamps you might like sendmoremail.blogspot.com she has beautiful pictures of stamps and pretty mail.
    I hope you have a wonderfully creative long weekend.
    Much Love,
    Crystal
    P.S. You might my blog to because I LOVE MAIL!

    ReplyDelete