Saturday, April 2, 2011

Swaps

I've participated in several "swaps" over the past year and have enjoyed it immensely and have only been on the short end of the stick one time.  A couple of gals are now wonderful penfriends.

Julie and I were paired up with a "stationery" exchange and we've been writing ever since.  We have compatible humor and interests and both live out West.

Gemma and I were paired up with a "letter" exchange and we had to choose a theme to write about, so we agreed on the sea.  She is in England and I love hearing about her weekend holidays and enjoy her art and poetry.  We've been writing ever since.

I participated in a "Love Vintage" swap, which was really cool.  I sent (and received) packages to Flagstaff, Arizona and Hong Kong.  

Before the program ceased, I participated in "Happy Mail" for three months.  This was a program in which you were matched with someone and then sent an introductory letter or email followed by a small package.  My swap partners were overseas in Germany (husband is stationed in the military), Oregon, and England.  I received crafts supplies, a journal and stationery from Mandy in Germany, and three great British magazines from Charlotte in England.  The girl in Oregon was a flake and never responded, much less sent me a package as part of the agreement.  She had sent me an introductory note, though.  And of course I had sent her a lovely package.  Grrrrrr.  Thankfully this is the only time it's happened.

The most recent swap I participated in was called the "Tacky Souvenir" swap, and it was pretty easy for me to pick out some weird Arizona things to send to my partner, Pascaline, in France.  She sent me a very cool shopping bag and magnet (I use shopping bags all the time!): 

Here is what I sent her:

A couple of tacky postcards and some vintage Arizona-themed stationery.  The jackalope is a myth, you know.  An antelope and rabbit creature?  So silly. 
 Three keychains and a lollipop.  Keep reading for further details...
The first two keychains were simply tacky.  A small sparkly zippered bag, and a small flask with the image of a rattlesnake on the front.  The flask would hold about 1/2 shot of liquor.
Now for the truly tacky stuff:  A Lucite keychain with a scorpion inside and a tequila-flavored lollipop with a worm inside, just like you find in many tequila bottles!

These are typical, tacky souvenirs you can find in many gift shops around Arizona!  The scorpion can often be found in the form of a paperweight, too.  As a special treat, I wrapped the gifts in tacky, vintage wrapping paper.  Fortunately I also included a very nice letter for Pascaline and I have since heard from her and she liked the package! 

5 comments:

  1. What fun swops! Love everything. But that girl is Oregon wasn't very nice.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it !! And I posted about our swap this morning, talk to you soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super fun! I had no idea that you would find these little things in the souvenirs around Arizona! I love it!! And are they real worms and scorpions in there? Or just little fake rubber ones?

    Glad you had fun! Sorry to hear about the person who didn participate :( That's a bummer.

    Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the critters in the sucker and key chain are real! Dead but real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frindship overseas are wonderful!!
    Very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete